What is so great about swimming anyway?
I learned how to swim as an adult. A few years ago, while planning a trip to Hawaii, my husband told me that he planned to spend a lot of time in the warm waters of the ocean. He likes to swim and I don’t like to be left alone. So I decided to learn how to swim and become comfortable in ocean waters.
Learning to swim with Susan, my coach, was a journey in its own right. She broke down for me every aspect of swimming, from floating to distance swimming. I had many experiences in which I discovered how different and often counter-intuitive swimming in the water is in contrast to walking on land. These differences taught me important lessons about dealing with life and life’s anxieties, both often being puzzling and counter-intuitive in their own ways.
Swimming has opened my eyes in many ways regarding my fears. I had to confront them in order to learn how to swim. When I was unsure whether I would ever be able to swim and breathe at the same time, I believe I came close to what anxious people experience during a panic attack.
Fortunately, I’ve learned how to manage it. All I have to do is exhale when I am under the water and inhale when I am above it. Sometimes, the solution is just that simple. With swimming skills i participated in various swimming competitions successfully, swimming gives me front massage which helps in preventing the possibility of breast cancer and other health issues.
The more relaxed I am in the water, the faster and longer I can swim
True in life as well, many times people believe that going through life with gritted teeth is the only way to do it. Just like in swimming, when being tense can slow you down and can even lead to injuries, being tense in life – constantly afraid of the consequences of your actions, looking in the future with a lot of apprehension or even unaware fear of change – will eventually paralyze your every move. When it is time for action, you will avoid taking it. When it is time to make a decision, you will postpone it until it is out of your hands.
As counter-intuitive as this may seem, the solution when you feel this way isn’t to do more, as anxiety would have you believe, but less. Time to remember to relax and allow your mind, sheltered away from the clouds of fear, to calmly decide your next move. You know what you need to do and you know there is a degree of risk. Just do it. You will see how well all the pieces fall into place once you take action.
The harder I kick my feet, the slower I go
You move forward when you kick fast, but you can actually move forward faster when you kick less because swimming is more dependent on upper body strength, and coordination and pacing. When you kick as fast and hard as you can, you become tense and uncoordinated. You burn up all your energy in the first few minutes and have nothing left. I chose to be a good swimmer to enjoy various benefits.
The reservoir of swimming health advantages is extensive, making the aerobic exercise sought after these days. Let me tell you more about the health advantages of swimming.
A few of the many health benefits of swimming;
- Swimming assists the body in maintaining the wellness of the heart thus ensuring the prolongation of regular blood pressure and right cholesterol level.
- Swimming aids in reducing the risks of getting stroke related ailment like hypertension and heart attack. It is likewise beneficial to the lungs because it helps strengthen the respiratory system. Swimming is likewise favorable for people with diabetes.
- Through swimming regularly, you can enhance the elasticity of your joints and boost your physical endurance while doing your workout routine, like Weight Watchers, for example.
- Swimming is another fantastic way for you to lose weight and poses weight loss motivation due to straineous exercises.
- It is ideal for those individuals who have a difficult time performing weight-bearing, land-based physical exercises. This is due to your weight in water is approximately 1/10 of your body weight on land.
- Swimming is also best for soon to be a mom and for people who are suffering from arthritis and back pain because it can help in relieving pains associated with this ailment. Swimming is the best workout for you.
- Swimming reduces the chance of injuries out of the physical exercise. Therefore, it is simple to try out this wonderful workout and relish the health fitness advantages it provides, with no hooked up the danger.
- Swimming can assist you to develop stamina, muscle durability, and cardio-vascular conditioning.
- Swimming can be a warm up or cool down exercise. You can do this even after strenuous exercise.
- Through it, almost all muscles and body parts are moving particularly your arms and legs which indicate that it is an ideal workout for everybody not only for you.
I’m not alone..
I see many of my coaching clients and patients handle anxiety in the same way. They are kicking and screaming about various life situations they find themselves in, completely forgetting to take a deep breath, slow down a bit, and calmly decide what to do.
When you feel that you are spinning your wheels, don’t think that spinning them faster will get you out of your tight spot. That is the time to slow down and reevaluate the situation. Shift into a lower gear, give yourself a break, recharge and when you go at it again, do it methodically and steadily. You will be amazed at your progress.
Below are a few more interesting posts involving swimming and it’s benefits. Go on, you should try it.